Thursday 4 August 2016

Budapest to the border...








A Scoucer love story
Budapest Scam - WarningMar 06, 2013, 11:44 AM
I have just returned from a business trip to Budapest and much to my annoyance I fell for a scam. I am widely travelled and normally veer well away from situations like this but this one time my guard was down and so I feel obliged to let others know - forearmed is forewarned. 
I was simply wandering about near the river on the Pest side and these 2 friendly girls asked for directions, (i was looking at a map and looking for a bar). They were in their late twenties. They wanted to go to a bar, and asked me to join them. I said no way but in the end they persuaded me to come along for one. It was only about 7pm and I thought what was the harm in one beer after a days work ? 
I suppose the fact they seemed to know exactly which bar we should go to should have raised an alarm bell - but it didn't. 
Anyway we had a few shots and their company was pleasant. At about 8.30 ish i thought i better head off. The bill came and I was expecting about £30 equivalent maybe more but I knew how much drinks should be so wasn't expecting anything much higher. It was £600 !! 
I only had £80 on me. Conveniently there was an ATM outside which i was walked to. I stayed calm throughout but was thinking what the hell could I do ? At the ATM I pretended to start drawing the money but then withdrew my card and ran and ran. The owner and one of the girls were so surprised I got away 
Yes looking back there were many signs indicating this whole situation was wrong but I am always trying to believe in people's good nature. It is getting harder to..
So take warning from my story please.

This made me laugh... 
1. Re: Budapest Scam - WarningMar 06, 2013, 12:22 PM
lucky you had your trainers on fella
£600 is on the low side for what men have been stung by this the oldest of tourist traps
think of it this way
how often do attractive ladies approach you in London and ask you to go for a drink?
all the best
tony










No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...