Wednesday 25 May 2016

From Warsaw to San Francisco, i love you baby...

I couldn't agree more...


I was in Warsaw, going somewhere one afternoon, when i spied a woman in her late 40's, in red stilettos, good looking, trying to open the door to her building, with a big fat cigar hanging out of her mouth.

I wanted to give her a thumbs up, but she did have bags in her arms, and looked rather pre-occupied.

And I began to think of my times in San Francisco,  one of the famous ladies that lived in San Francisco, liked to smoke cigars, drink whiskey, hang out with firemen and chase them to their place of business, fires.

When she died, Lillie bequeathed one-third of her estate to the City of San Francisco
 "To be expended in an appropriate manner for the purpose of adding to the beauty of the city which I have always loved"
They built a tower for her on the land she donated to the city, it looks like a fire mans nozzle

Apparently its not supposed to, but it does, she had a thing about firemen, she would have approved, no doubt?

Coit Tower, what do you think?

Lillie Hitchcock Coit, that is who I was thinking of when I saw that lady.


'Firebelle Lil' Coit was considered eccentric, smoking cigars and wearing trousers long before it was socially acceptable for women to do so. 
She was an avid gambler and often dressed like a man in order to gamble in the male-only establishments that dotted North Beach.[2]
 I've got great memories of my time in San Francisco, and that is what i was thinking watching the woman in Warsaw with the big fat Cigar

 Hail to the mad cigar women who love firemen.
 After all someone has to...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...